Monday, April 07, 2008

A few thoughts on BBQ




Last night K and I were watching some cable television. One of our favorite shows is "No Reservations" on the travel channel. They showed 3 shows in a row, yes we watched for 3 non-stop hours. In these episodes, Tony Bourdain(the host) traveled to Hong Kong, Namibia, and Ghana. For those of you who may not be familiar with the show, Tony is a chef from New York, he travels the world and eats all manner of foods on the show and talks a little about the history and cultures of the area. Mostly, it's all about the food. Now we have watched this show for the last couple of years and have seen Tony in many foreign lands and I have noticed that all of the places on the show, and it seems to me that all places around the world, have at least one thing in common; BBQ. Our friend, grilled meat. Meat in all of its forms, beef, pork, chicken, fish, duck, goose, warthog, etc, etc..
I suppose that it makes since though. If we were to travel back in history to the first cooked meal what would we expect to see? We would see the first people who were able to create fire warming themselves after a hunt and accidentally dropping their kill into the fire. They would pick it up, take a bite and think "Wow, those are some good eats", or something like that. So, instead of throwing a whole wilderberast into a fire they would build a rack over the fire(as to not burn up the whole kill). Thus BBQ was born. Over time we have added various seasonings and spices and of course sauces, mmmm sauces! But the basics remain the same+meat+ fire+ rack=deliciosity!
I love BBQ. I love The smell of the meat, the crispness of the flame kissed outside and the soft jucy texture of the inside. I love the many different cuts and preperations. And i suppose that today I feel a little more connected to the world. I may never travel to Laos or Ghana or Uzbekistan, but I know that when it comes to firing up the old char-broil or lighting up the kingsford charcoal at family get togethers, we're doing more than just cooking a meal, we're embracing our global family and the spirit of our ancestors, the brotherhood of all mankind. Grill on brothers !




At the bottom of the page you will find my current list of favorite BBQ joints. I have travelled much lately so the list is small. Also, I have yet to find a worthy BBQ joint in the New Orleans or Baton Rouge metro area. Not to say there isn't one, I just haven't found it yet. Please feel free to let me know of any I should try. And TJ Ribs in Baton Rouge is not an option. I've been there and it absolutely sucked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are no good BBQ places around here. Thats the main reason I miss Dallas. and why I am trying to get really good doing my own BBQ.

Steve

Scott said...

Your BBQ is pretty good. I was very impressed at Easter.

Scott said...

I think that we live a unique place, culinaryaly speaking. Here in south Louisiana we have a very seafood based culture. So, at gatherings there are seafood boils rather than BBQ's. Seafood restaurants abound here just as BBQ joints are plentiful inland. What was your favorite place in Dallas?

Anonymous said...

i dont remember!! i keep racking my brain.. but I forget... i know there was a place in Irving Hwy 183.... near the airport, but the name escapes me.

steve