Monday, April 30, 2007

Running with Kenyans, and Greyhounds


Kenya. I love running. I love the sport of running. I love watching it, doing it, talking about it. Sure, I haven't been doing it much lately, damn these busy lives we live that keep us from what we love. I love the simplicity of the sport. You just put one foot in front of the other, then you try to do it faster or longer. that's it, anyone can do it. Most people run for fitness and exercise, others run to earn a living. Some of those who do the best at it are from Kenya. This is especially true in the distance events (my particular favorites). It seems that they win every event they enter in, although occasionally an Ethiopian will win). I wish I could run as the Kenyans do. smooth stride, wicked fast pace. They make it look so easy. In 2006 I ran in the Crescent City Classic (CCC). I finished the 6.2 miles in 57:19 (57 minutes, 19 seconds). I was super excited because my goal was to do it in under an hour. My months of training paid off. While running that day I felt invincible, I swore I was catching up to the leaders. I was flying past people, I refused to be passed by anyone. But, reality is a kick in the head. The winner, a Kenyan, finished the race in 25 minutes (and some change). Yes, even though I was running wide open, he still ran it twice as fast. He was getting a deep tissue massage while I was at the half way point. He was probably on a plane back to Kenya by the time I got to mile 5 and was on his second pack of peanuts when I crossed the finish. I stand amazed at the ability of these elite athletes. I know I will never be one, but the "Battle That I love" is chasing the dream that though many may finish ahead of me, I will be able to cross the finish line with at least one Kenyan behind me.



Lofty? yes, but why dream any other way.
What is the Kenyan in your life?






Sadie has Kenyans in her life, she calls them Greyhounds (she is pictured with one below). She can't run as fast as them, as we found out Sunday on her first visit to the dog park. She just enjoys the chase and loves the dream that maybe once, just once, she'll catch one, just one. Oh Sadie, how wise you are.



This last picture is of Sadie playing with a boxer. Sadie is part boxer, part lab so she felt like she was with her people.

6 comments:

melancholic smirk said...

Aww, I love it!

I guess Professing History is my Kenyan. . .

Scott said...

and in 4-5 years that Kenyan will be behind you. Keep running babe!

melancholic smirk said...

Is "running" a metaphor for learning, or do you really mean "running," because if that's the case running 2 miles per week won't cut it!

Scott said...

it is a metaphor for chasing your dream. in your case "running" would be putting in the work and hours needed to get that PhD and be able to profess. But it could also apply to running if you wanted it to. To miles a week is better than zero mpw.
as with all things in life, the hardest part is taking that first step. be it running or other wise, once you get out the door and get moving your work is halfway done(analogy, your work is not literally halfway done).

melancholic smirk said...

Word.

curia_regis said...

Great post. I read it a while back, but I've never been able to think about what my Kenyan is. I still don't know. BUT...I'm reminded of this episode of Boy Meets World starring Ben Savage where Ben's character has to sit on the porch of a billboard to win some type of contest, and it's freezing cold outside and he's all parka'd up and everything (about as many layers of clothes possible and he's still freezing) and then this eskimo shows up in shorts and a t-shirt and talks about how mild the weather is. Ben's character wants to give up, but then his friend tells him that no matter what you do in life there'll always be an eskimo. I don't think I watched the end of the show to see what happened, but it seems like good advice.