Thursday, November 08, 2007

Greatest songs from the 80"s

Last night I was flipping through the channels and came across the countdown of the greatest songs of the 80's on VH1. So, I thouhgt I would make a list of my top 5.

5. Beat It/Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) Both of these songs are awsome. MJ completely dominated the airwaves and MTV when the Thriller album was released. He gets the number 5 spot for two reasons 1. They played these songs on rock, pop, soul, country, and every other radio station. The guitar solo on Beat It, played By Eddie Van Halen (what other reason did you need?).

4. Jump (Van-Halen) Because it's Van Halen, that's why. Also because this song was huge. Everybody was listening to it and it was on the charts and radio forever. It was like its own dimension. It had its of climate , it was huge, and it rocked.

3. Wild Thing (Tone Loc) Because The sample they used was from Van Halen's song "Jamies Crying". Also, because of the line "Couldn't get her off my jack, she was like static cling, But that's what happens when body start slappin', from doin' the wild thing". Classic.

2. Every breathe you take (the Police) When I was in 4th and 5th grade my brother and I, and other neighborhood kids, would go to the community pool to stay cool. Every day while swimming, and staring at the one particular lifeguard (i forget her name but think of it like the connection betwwen "squints" and Wendy Peffercorn in the movie "The Sandlot") this song would come on every day. In fact, it seemed like it came on every half hour. It has forever become know in the mind of my brother and I as a "Pool Song". There are several others but this is the greatest of them all. Unfortunately, it has no connection to Van Halen except that the band broke up in the 80's and the original line ups have gotten back together and are on tour right now (minus van halen bass player michael anthony who is currently being replaced by eddies son wolfgang).

1. Whip It (Devo) Crack that whip! Whip it! Whip it good!
What else do I have to say?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your description of song number 2 isw "dead on". But the rest of your list is wack! "beat it" and "billie jean" are 2 different songs. 1 of them has to be better than the other.

IMO "Beat it" is better because of the weird al cover "eat it". can't make a song like that to "billie jean".

Anonymous said...

What was that life gueards name? stats? ....

the sandlot.... I didnt realize you had a crush way back when...

Scott said...

I don't recall the LG's name. Just that she was a senior in high school, Brown hair, and was nice to a certain 10 year old(me). I also had acrush prior to this on a girl that liked my brother when he was in the 4th grade(I was in second) I remember that her name was jodie but that's all I recall.

I would put "Beat It" over "Billie Jean". Especially if you factor in the Weird Al Parody. I think Al is a genius but that is fodder for a whole other blog. The point about MJ is that he was huge. Every song was a hit and everyone was listening to it. Don't ry to deny it. You think he's weird now but back in the day we were all trying to moonwalk like the uni-gloved one.

curia_regis said...

Of course you'll never satisfy anyone with a "top 5" (which I respect you posting because I am never focused enough for a top 5 list). you'll always having someone arguing for Whitesnake, or Poison, or something like that. I know all of the songs on you top 5, so that's a good start, I don't know if it's *my* top 5 songs of the 80s, but hey they're all good songs.

So was the loss to Rummel a crushing defeat, or what? I was looking forward to going to the West Monroe vs. Hahnville game this weekend, until both teams lost!!!!