Monday, May 12, 2008

THE END IS NEAR!





Actually, It's 13 days away. 13 more days until summer vacation. It's been a long time since I had a summer vacation. I completed the program at UNO in 3 1/2 years because i went to summer school and intersession every summer. So, for the last 4 years I've had no REAL summer vacation to speak of. This summer I plan to do a lot of nothing, a lot of running, a lot of reading, and a lot of sleeping.


But, 1st I have to surive these last 13 days of school. The students are ready to get out, and so are the teachers. Several teachers are already shifting into shut-down mode. I'm not quite shutting down yet but we are definately slowing down. I have outlined the plan for the last two weeks and the students have agreed to it. I am giving them a lot of rope here and I can tell that several of them are going to hang themselves with it. So, I will remind them everyday about the plan and the best way to reach the goal of passing this class. But, they know that it is their responsibility to "get 'er done".


And so, my time on the bayou is coming to a close. Here is a short list of the things I like and dislike about the place.


Likes:

1. I'm never cold, it's freakin hot here

2. no traffic, cause ther's no where to go

3. I see more wild life, alligators, snakes, etc

4. lot's of fried seafood


Dislikes:

1. I'm never cold, it's freakin hot here

2. There's nowhere to go, at least there's no traffic

3. The increased chances of being attacked by wildlife, alligators, snakes, etc.

4. lot's of fried seafood, in fact, everything is fried here, my heart is shutting down. I never thought I would actaully crave a salad.

6 comments:

curia_regis said...

Awesome! Yes, I too try to avoid fried seafood when possible (when possible = at least 2 days a week). Where to next after the bayou? A cold trafficy place? Seems that the U.S. has an abundance of those...you could be the only person moving to Detroit or Cleveland, for sure.

Another positive of seeing so much "wildlife" is that it is often available to be dinner (alligator, snake, fowl, etc.)...just don't deep fry it and you'll be doing alright.

Scott said...

Funny you mention that. I considered writing a post about going to the grocery and finding both lump alligator meat and turtle meat for sale. It was quite a suprise to me. Maybe I should learn how to prepare it and I can wow any out of town guests(not that anyone should have to come down here, that's just plain mean).

Scott said...

"Cleveland Rocks CLeveland rocks", "you got to get down in Detroit, Rock city".

pubdraught said...

...there's always the Pacific Northwest. Sure, the traffic sucks(and so do the Mariners lately). Oh yeah, and it rains every once in a while. But the views, ah, the views...Heaven's windows.

-Steve B

Anonymous said...

hey! at least Louisiana isn't Kentucky, or Iowa, or North Dakota... because we'll banish you... we will banish...


steve w

melancholic smirk said...

KY and Iowa are not in the same league, my friend.