Sunday, July 13, 2008

It hurts, it hurts!

Right now I am not sure why I run. I was supposed to do a 7 mile run today. I got up a little after 7 and slowly got dressed. At about 7:45 I headed out the door. I haven't run anything close to 7 miles since I ran 6 miles at the crescent city classic way back in April. Since then my longest run has only been about 3 miles, and that was a month ago. But, since I started a new training program and it said that I am supposed to run 7 miles, i was gonna run 7 miles. My plan was to run(slowly) the first 3.5 and then do a combination of running and walking the second 3.5. I mapped out a 3.5 mile loop last night.

So I started running and the first 3.5 I felt pretty good. I thought to myself, "this isn't bad at all". Then came the second half. When I started the second half I was a little tired. But, I kept running(slowly). Then I thought to myself that I still had a long way to go so to prevent hurting myself I should do the smart thing and take a walk break. The one thing I definitely don't need to do right now is hurt myself. So, I walked a little and ran a little. But, every time I walked, it got harder to start running. Luckily I have pretty good will power. Nonetheless, It was hard to run after walking. Looking back, I think it was the right thing to do. I may have been able to run all 7 miles but if for some reason I would have not been able to do it, then it probably would have lessened my confidence.

I made it the whole 7, actually 7.2 miles. I am proud of my self not only for doing it but also being smart enough to not kill myself by running the whole thing. Wow! I actually used my brain, good for me.

Now that might seem like a feel good story to you, but I ain't done yet. When I got back to the house I was pretty tired, my legs and feet were very tired. The lady next store was outside cutting her grass. My grass wasn't terribly high but I was planning on cutting it in the next couple days. K-love was inside cleaning the house, mostly the messes that lie in my wake, so I figured that I might as well at least cut the front yard since I was already sweaty. I did cut the grass. I started around 10 am and finished around noon, not exactly the coolest part of the day. Now my legs are killing me, my feet absolutely hate my guts, and my whole body in general just isn't pleased with me. On the other hand, the yard looks nice, but the back will have to wait till tomorrow. That makes me think that my yard is like a mullet, short and neat in the front, long in the back, or as they say,"business in the front, party in the rear".

I don't know why I tell these stories but I hope someone, somewhere gets a chuckle.
I am supposed to do another 7 mile run next Sunday but I am going to run in the spillway classic trail run on Saturday. That's 3 miles so I'll probably just do 4 miles on Sunday, maybe 5 if I feel like a bad-ass, and I never feel like a bad-ass.

Oh yeah, I found out that there is a group that runs 3 miles every Tuesday night. That meet at Happy's Irish pub in Baton Rouge. There run starts and ends at Happy's to be followed by 2-for1 pints till 10pm. Sounds like my kind of crowd, except for the beer thing. Maybe they have an excellent Irish root beer on tap. I'll let you know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

no comment. let me see if i understand K's new blog well enough to comment on that.

pubdraught said...

Running followed by beer!? Sounds like my kind of crowd too. Too bad you guys are on the other side of the effing country else I'd join in... -Steve B

melancholic smirk said...

I told S that I'd go to the pub and wait for him, then I'd drink his beers.

Yum. . . beer. . .

What do you mean "if you understand my new blog"?? It's not like I'm doing rocket science, dude. I'm just chatting about cutting pineapples.

melancholic smirk said...

Oh, and Steve B., you need to make your profile public.

pubdraught said...

Ohhhkaaay, if I must...

melancholic smirk said...

You don't have a blog? And your profile is blank?

WTF?