Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pre-race warmup!

Those of you who ready this blog frequently may remember that I was going to run the "spillway classic" trail run today. Would you like to hear how it went? Well, it went as follows.
Last night, Friday night, I was excited about about the race so I laid out what I was going to wear. Knowing that I would probably get muddy I packed a bag of extra clothes and a towel. Everything was set so that we could get up at 5:30 and special-K and I could be out the door at 6:00 AM. We went to sleep a little later than planned but I actually slept until 5 minutes before the clock went off. I was "woked up" by Sadie's leg kicking me in the bladder. I think she was having some sort of dream of chasing a cat or squirrel(the other white meat). At any rate, her leg was a' twitchin'. Naturally I got up before the alarm. after taking care of something I laid back in bed for 2 minutes till the alarm went off.
I had no problem getting up. I brushed the old tooth, sort of brushed some of my hairs, deodorized myself and headed to the extra bed room where I had my clothes laid out. While I was getting dressed, K was doing the same plus making herself some coffee. She got ready and with coffee in hand headed for the computer to check any e-mails that may have rolled in since we last checked. I loaded up a cooler with Gatorade and some granola type bars and we were about ready to go. I went into the computer room to say that it was time to go and to get the brochure for the race which included the directions. I looked at the cover, then at my digital watch. I noticed that the race was for 8 AM, we had 2 hours to get there. That would be plenty of time. Then I noticed that the race was on July 20th. Today is the 19th. The friggin' race is tomorrow.
Needless to say I have felt like an idiot all day.
K tried to go back to sleep but since she had already put the java into her system it took a while. I figured that since I was already dressed and very aggravated I may as well go for a run. I did 3.5 miles at a decent pace. I got back home and showered, laid on the bed and we finally fell back asleep. We probably napped from 7:15-9:00Am. Then we woke up and had a great breakfast of eggs, bacon, and biscuits which powered us on a hot garage sale binge. Sad news, no good deals. But, we did get a great deal on some metal star string lights at Big Lots. Before the 4th of July they were $9.00, today they were$.90. That's right, 90% off. we bought 3 boxes.
Looking back I guess this hasn't been the worst day ever. Seriously, 90% off. That's Awesome and you know it!
I'll let you know tomorrow or Monday how the race turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

today is elie's birthday, and I sent her to slidell for the weekend. Talk about not paying attention to dates. Mary has mentioned it to me about 37 times today. Good luck tomorrow.

steve

Scott said...

she's 2 and has no idea that it's her birthday. Besides, if Mary didn't want her to go she should have said no or she can drive over there and get her. How's that for a hard-line stance. On the other hand, I'm sure your are both enjoying a quiet day. As long as I don't get eaten by a gator washed away in the spillway then I should be OK.

curia_regis said...

I thought for sure, as this blog was unfolding that the race was going to have already passed...being early is a goog thing in this instance! Hope you fared well in your race...let us know how you did...