Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cloud 9

The Manchac 10 mile run is coming up in about 7 weeks. This is one my measuring posts on my way to the Mardi Gras Marathon Feb. 1st. As part of my training I do a long run on Sunday mornings. I am happy to announce that this past Sunday I set a new personal record. I ran 9 miles without stopping. It took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to do, but I did it. I felt surprisingly good afterwards. I had run 7 or 8 miles several times before, but something about 9 just seemed really far. My training guide(that I printed of of runnersworld.com) says I am to run 9 miles again this weekend. I feel confident in getting it done and feel like I can even pick up the tempo a step or two.

Yes, I was a bit sore on Monday, but not as much as I expected. One of the nicest things about the long run is that it adds a big jump in mileage. For those of you who have not noticed, there is a tracker at the bottom of this page keeps up with how many miles I have run this year. I love putting in the Sunday mileage. It makes it look like i really did something substantial. Well, after doing it I would definitely call 9 miles substantial. On the down side, I only ran one third of a marathon. I've still got a long way to go.

Ps.I had a great time at the cookout Sunday. K and all were glad y'all came over. I hope the grilling was to your liking and we definitely like the idea of the mountains or anything having to do with Alaska.

2 comments:

Steven Wallace said...

the steaks on Sunday were very good...

Did you ever see the episode of "how I met your mother" where neil patrick harris runs a marathon on a whim, he said if you want to run a marathon, you just do it, so he ran the NY city marathon, and finished it.. But then on his ride home on the subway, his legs stopped working... it was a very funny episode. I picture you sitting at home unable to walk on sunday nights....

melancholic smirk said...

9 miles is a long, long way to run. Especially when there's no free beer at the end.