Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My favorite time of every four years.

I love the Olympics! I love the spectacle and the fact that competitors face off against the best the world has to offer in each sport. I love the history of the games and the great moments of Olympiads past. I love the Images of John Carlos and Tommy smith with their gloved fists raised in the air. I love watching video of a barefoot Abebe Bikila winning the marathon in 1964. Just weeks ago I finished Jeremy Schapp's book Triumph, that tells the story off Jesse Owens and his great showing in Berlin in 1936.

Yes, I actually woke up at 5:30AM on a Saturday to watch they Olympic marathon trials. I can not wait for the track and field(aka trackfield) portion to begin Friday. k and I have been watching a lot of the swimming and gymnastics, but it is the track events that I really love.
I'm not real big on the events where the competitors are judged(like diving and gymnastics). It's not that I don't appreciate the sports, it's just that I don't like the subjective scoring system. I favor races where the first one from here to there wins. Or, whoever lifts the most weight wins, or whoever throws this big rock the farthest wins.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think that gymnasts and divers are great athletes. I am especially impressed by the guys on the rings. Those guys are freakin' amazing. I don't think I could ever do what they do. It's just that it's hard for me to say that one guy is better than the other. I understand that there is a criteria that judges use to judge them. But its just that, a judgement. It's opinion, and for some reason that bothers me.

Now I have a new least favorite Olympic sport, synchronized diving. I mean, are you kidding me? How did this get to be an Olympic sport? Did someone say"hey man, you know what would be totally rad? what if instead of you doing that dive by yourself, we did it together?"
Whoever said that needs a smack in the back of the head.

I love the Olympics but some of the sports are out of control. I originally made list of events that should be removed. I deleted it. I don't want to judge those events. Those athletes work hard and as a runner, I appreciate and understand the hard work that they out in. I understand the sacrifices they make to be the best in there sport. So, I wish them well. It's not their fault that there sport is in the Olympics. It is a blessing for them and I fully support the struggle that leads to the triumph. So, here to the Olympians. I may not like or understand what you do. But I know it means the world to you, so show the world your best. You've earned the right to compete. Right here, right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I will be the one to smack them in the back of the head. I can't understand calling beach volleyball a sport. It is fun to watch, but it is a recreation...... And, a team sport like baseball and softball which is a sport is being eliminated. Who are these people making decisions.....
Mom

Scott said...

Wow, my mom reply to a post. You are so supportive. The funny thing is that I can actually picture you smacking them in the back of the head, lefty style.

pubdraught said...

Yeah, I was thinking too, what's up with badminton being an Olympic sport? I noticed that some of the female players were hotties though, so I watched a few matches...

melancholic smirk said...

If readin' books were an olympic sport, I'd have a few gold medals.

Anonymous said...

When do they start playing Hockey? Now that's a real sport. pucks, pads, and goons... what could be better?

Now if they combined the events of target shooting and synchronized diving, that would be interesting.

ssw