Thursday, June 28, 2007

Insomnia? Probably not.

So, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep but it just wasn't happening so I figure instead of keeping Kristi(and Sadie) awake with my moving around I would come piddle on the Internet until I get really tired. I read a comment on a friends blog dealing with the Saints releasing kick returner Michael Lewis. What my dear friend said (in essence) was that it was good to get rid of Lewis because he was a throwback to the "old" Saints. "Old" meaning "losers". This hit a sore spot with me. It is true that the Saints haven't been the most successful team in NFL history and it is true that we, as Saints fans, haven't always had a lot to cheer about. But I think it is very unfair to suggest that everything from 1967-2005 was all crap. Michael Lewis, prior to blowing out his knee was one of the best and most feared return men in the league (and yes, it was a fumble). But, his release has nothing to do with him weighing down the team with past failure. The fact is that it frees up a roster spot. Reggie will return the kicks (there are others guys chomping at the bit to help in this role as well). Lewis was a returner only who never turned into a great or reliable receiver. Thus, he became a one trick pony, a great kick returning pony, but a one trick pony nonetheless. Reggie on the other hand is able to do several jobs which means the Lewis' roster spot can be used to fill a need, and yes we do have needs.
What aggravates me is that Saints fans are acting as if our history started last year. It was a great year and the future looks bright but let us not forget that we looked like crap in Chicago. Our savior of a coach called a terrible game and our anointed players dropped the ball, repeatedly.
Saints history is filled with some great players and great moments. football in New Orleans did not start with the arrival of Reggie and Drew.
John Gilliam returned the Saints 1st kickoff for a touchdown. Dempsey-record breaking kick-to win the game. Manning-do I need say anything. The dome patrol. The only time the entire linebacker corp from a team started in the prow-bowl together. We have had some great players and some not so great, but all of those guys had one thing in common-they played to win. They came up on the short end more often than not, but they still played to win. To suggest that what those men worked for means nothing is a slap in the face to a fan like me who has shared in the victories and felt the sting of defeat that Saints alums have felt. I will miss Michael Lewis, Just like I miss Dalton Hilliard and Vaughn Johnson. They were great Saints who Played Hard, who played to win. I hope we go to and win the super bowl. And part of me hopes that Fred Thomas has an interception return for a touchdown to win the game. O.k., its a very small part of me. To say that "the saints are smart to disassociate themselves people who remember the bad times" is a slap in the face to Michael Lewis, who busted his ass on every play and it is a slap in the face to every saints fan who cheered for the black and gold(see 1965-2005).

7 comments:

curia_regis said...

Ouch. I think that coaches, mayors, presidents, et al. get rid of people from the previous leader so they can get their own guys in there. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Lewis was definitely feared in his pro bowl season, but beyond that he didn't put up any real numbers. Kurt Warner was feared in 1999 and 2001, but outside of that he's bounced from team to team because of his diminished play.

Lewis had 245 touches over the past 4 years (KR, PR, WR) and 2 TDs. He also had 2 lost fumbles. His KR/PR average was about 22 yds/ 7 yds respectively. Descent, but not great. Lewis *was* a good player, but his time had passed (for whatever reason), and I respect the Saints decision to "go in another direction" than a 36 y.o. KR/5th WR.

I think it helps to get people "loved up on" by Hazlett off the team, just as it helped Hazlett get Dikta-ites off the team. You always want to start anew with fresh guys who don't have a long history with an organization, unless it's an organization of winning. The Saints are 247 - 358 - 5 all time (that's a 40% winning percentage) The Saints have the 3rd lowest all time winning percentage (1% above Tampa Bay, and 10% above Houston). Manning was 23-55 as a starter with the Saints. It doesn't matter how good you are, or how good you should be...Manning's 41% winning percentage just doesn't cut it.

The Saints have don't have a winning record against anyone but Tampa and Houston.

To say that historically the Saints have been bad shouldn't really be a point of contention. I'll agree that from 1987-1992 (6 years) the Saints were pretty good...never good enough to get past the first round of the playoffs...but good nonetheless. But in the past 14 years the Saints have had 2 winning seasons, 3 3-13 seasons, and 9 mediocre-at-best seasons.

No disrespect to Lonzell Hill or Dalton Hillard or Bobby Hebert, or Ironhead Heyward, or Eric Martin, or Toi Cook, or Hoby Brenner, or Mike Tice, or Ruben Mayes, or Johnny Poe, or Dave Waymer, Sam Mills, Vaughan Johnson, Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, Brad Edleman, Joel Hilgenburg, Morten Andersen, John Forcade, Mel Gray, Quinn Early, Torrance Small, Floyd Turner, Gil Fenerty, Brett Perriman, or Buford Jordan.

Much disrespect to: Hobart, Tolliver, Steve Walsh, Chris Everett, Aaron Brooks, Weurffel, Lamar Smith, Aaron Craver, Troy Davis, Wilmot Perry, Ricky Williams, Keith Poole, Mario Bates, Ray Zellers, Lorenzo Neal, Tyrone Hughes, Michael Haynes, Irv Smith, and the rest of their ilk.

So, the Saints have had 7 good years out of 40, or 17.5% of the years have been "good."

I love the Saints, and hope LA does whatever is necessary to keep them...but the facts don't lie. I've been following the Saints since 1987, and at no point were the Saints ever considered a "great" team. That word was reserved for teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Patriots, Rams, Ravens, and others...

Last year's 10-6 team was better, in my opinion than 1987, 1991, and 1992 teams (12-4, 11-5, 12-4 respectively). This is unchartered waters for your New Orleans Saints.

Scott said...

Well I'm Glad to see you did some research on the subject and thank you for supporting my commentary. The Saints have not always won, But they have not all been losers.

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Biddy up in Bama. Dude you are Saintsing it up (a word? i'm not sure?), huh? Anwyay, email me at my yahoo account; my work account keeps rejecting your juno account (crazy spam blockers). By the way, do you watch the show Scrubs? I have become somewhat of an addict and I see a lot of paralells to our lives - a young hip African-American dude who is extremely close friends with a nerdy but lovable white boy - sounds just like us!

Anyway, if somebody's making a cheese run, hollah at me dawg!

Peace, love, and Fruit Roll-Ups!

Scott said...

Brian, where have you been the last three years?

Anonymous said...

Scottie, I've been asking myself the very same question for some time now!

Scott said...

well hit me with an email-I don't have your address- and we can catch up.

Anonymous said...

who needs Michael Lewis when Reggie Bush can return???


YAAAAA Saints

ssw