Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And I think to myself....

The electricity is back on at our house. Woo-hoo! I can't wait to sleep in my own bed and sleep an hour later. The drive fro "the Dell" to Capital City is a B-otch. Now, we just need to clean all the debris in the yard and do some cleaning inside and we can restore a senses of "normalcy" to our lives.

Normalcy happens to be one of my least favorite words. I don't remember ever hearing the word before 9-11. It was used to exhaustion after Katrina. and now I wish it would fade away. I've been trying to come up with a new word to replace it but haven't found the perfect word just yet. Though I am currently leaning towards normalociticiousness. Just a thought.

The other word that I don't care for is wherewithal. Ray Nagin used this word at least 27 bazillion times after Katrina and used it in full force during Gustav as well. I don't recall ever hearing this word before Katrina, but it is possible that it's just because I have a small vocabulary. Or, a low measure of vocabulariousness.

But enough about words for now, I have electricity. Now, if I only had cable. "What a wonderful world this would be."

You may recognize the title as a line from the Louis Armstrong classic "What a wonderful world". The last line of the post is from the 1960 Sam Cooke tune "what a wonderful world(this would be)". Both of which you can find on our old friend youtube.

2 comments:

melancholic smirk said...

Old Warren G. Harding came up with "normalcy" after World War I.

Anonymous said...

Reading your blogs is the next best thing to spending time with you in person... You and your lady friend have a knack for writing either entertaining entries, serious ones, or both. (I bet there's a publishable paper in the rhetoric of politics and hurricane devastation, fyi.)
The last cd I bought in Houma was Louis Armstrong's greatest hits!(Here's an odd--and maybe false bit of trivia--but I read somewhere that Louis pronounced his name as "Louis" instead of "Louie," and you can hear him say his name during one of his songs. I don't remember which one, and I've never heard it.....But that's okay beause, unfortunately, I wouldn't put him in my dream band.)
Your #1 blog lurker,
Julie