Monday, November 24, 2008

18 & life to go

I don't know what happened, or why. Yesterday was my first attempt at 18 miles. I was very confident that I would be successful given how well 16 miles went last week. Maybe it was overconfidence, poor hydration, poor diet, lack of rest, old shoes, warmer temperatures, or the stresses of my life right now. I don't know what it was but I know that 18 miles just wasn't in me.

The first 5 were great. Maybe too great. I think I went out to fast and burned out. Alls I know is that after 11 miles everything on me hurt or felt weak. I made it through 12 miles then started to walk. I don't know why I stopped running, but once I stopped I couldn't get started again. I was about 3 miles from home at this point so I walked it in. I guess I could say I did a total of 15, but I didn't. I died at 12.

Paula Radcliffe, I promise I won't make fun of you pulling out of the marathon in Athens anymore. I totally feel your pain.

I'm supposed to do 20 this Sunday. I'm gonna set my goal for 18 and if I'm not dead at the end of 18 I'll keep going. Among other things in my life this is a major blow to my confidence. I can already feel myself putting too much pressure on my upcoming 18/20 mile run.
Right now I'm just gonna try to focus on one step at a time, eventually those steps will add up. I wish it was as easy as it sounds.
It amazes me how running can be a metaphor for life. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually you'll get somewhere, I hope.

As well as I can remember, "18 & life to go" was recorded by the band Skid Row sometime in the early 90's. I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott...Jeremiah 29:11. 20 will come! You can do this!

I wish I could run. I've had hopes and dreams of it, but am too bashful to make it happen.

We are cheering you on!

Mary (your sis-in-law).

Steven Wallace said...

You should have used Alice Coopers "18" instead of pansy Skid Row...

maybe you need to stay at 16 or 18 for a couple of weeks before you bump it up again. you mey be feeling an additive effect of some kind. when you add extra miles to your run you are still running the original amount as well as the extra 2 or so.

get it?

Anonymous said...

Did you make your 18??

Mary