Sunday, November 02, 2008

I take it as a compliment

Over the years I have had people say some pretty nice things in regards to my running. But, I think the nicest, or at least the one I like the best, happened on Thursday. I have a neighbor a couple doors down that gets home from work about 30 minutes after I do. I usually change and get ready for my runs as soon as I get home so just as I'm starting my run he pulls up to his house. He always says "hi" or waves, but Thursday as he was passing by he slowed down and said, with a smile on his face, "do you ever stop running"? All I could do was laugh. I know that I give people that I don't know nicknames, like "shirtless Joe" who lives across the street (you can guess why he gets that name). I wonder if they give me names like "The running guy" or " the idiot with the Alabama flag" or something like that.

I would be OK with either one of those names.

At any rate, it made me feel good that someone thinks I run a lot. I usually run about 25 miles per week, which I think is good. Which brings me to the story of today's run. Last Sunday I ran 12 miles in about 2 hours 50 minutes. I was very happy about that. But all week I've been thinking that I need to be running a little faster. So in my workouts I have picked up the pace slightly. Today I was to do a 14 mile run. I did the first 10 miles with no problems, 2 hours 5 minutes. That is a 10 mile personal record for me. My overall goal was to do the 14 in under 3 hours. I was cruising, then it went down hill in a hurry. At about mile 10.5 I developed a sharp pain in my right hip. I tried to run trough it but it was like having someone hammering a railroad spike with every step. I stopped and stretched and then continued at a much slower pace just wanting to finish. I hobbled and stretched till the 13Th mile, which happens to be right in front of my house. I decided that I had just completed a half-marathon and that I had never done 13 miles before, I counted it as a victory. I did walk the last mile. I got to 13 miles in 2:40:30. I was able to walk in the final mile at 2:59:36. Goal accomplished, I guess.

It seems as though my sciatic nerve was not happy with me today. I had this same problem when I first started delivering water. But after a couple months of lugging bottles I got a bit stronger and the problem went away. Hopefully that will happen again.

Sciatic problems are truly a pain in the @$$.

I also but an iPod shuffle today, I'll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Steven Wallace said...

welcome to the shuffle nation! 9like the who-dat nation or red sox nation)

maybe one day I will be insppired to get into the running man nation.

curia_regis said...

I've never given my neighbors nicknames, but I've known plenty of people who have. I have good friends who used to live across the street from a "shoeless" joe...you can only guess how he got that name.

13 miles, wow! I have an ipod nano, so I should be able to do at least 20, no?