Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Here we go again

It's time.

Time to make it happen, because it won't do it on its own.

I haven't done any real workouts in 7 weeks. Yesterday that changed. The dogs and I did a 3 mile run at the levee in 92 degree heat and lived to tell about it. The goal was just to get out the door and run a bit. Goal accomplished. As most of you can probably guess, that one run is eventually gonna lead to something. You are right. I have been making some tentative plans for some upcoming races. I'm looking at the New Orleans "Jazz" half-marathon in September and the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa the weekend before Thanksgiving. Then possibly the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis in December and my return to the Mardi Gras Marathon in New Orleans in February or March. The only one that I might not do is the one in Memphis as it is 3 weeks after Tulsa, and I may need more time to recover, we'll see.

The important thing is that I got out and got started. When I talk to people about running, swimming, or cycling I often get the comment that they don't see how i run that far. I always tell them that the hardest part is just getting out the door. If you can get your shoes on and step into the street then you will at least walk around the block. That's better than nothing. The next day you might walk 2 blocks. eventually you will be running(or walking briskly)for 10 or 15 miles. It all starts with just getting out the door.

The problem is that we want immediate results without the work. Or as I call it, "instification" meaning we want things instantly, like rice and coffee. But some things take time, like a fine wine or Scotch. that's the way running is. First you just get moving, then you build a foundation, then you train for a goal. Yesterday I started moving, in a couple weeks I will have a foundation, and by Thanksgiving I will be achieving a goal. Feel free to put your shoes on and go for a walk, who knows, maybe I'll be trying to catch up to you soon.

3 comments:

curia_regis said...

I walked from the car to the office...does that count?

Also what happened to yoga at the Y, are you still doing that? Since you say you haven't done a real workout in 7 weeks I'm going to guess, "no." Yes that's my final answer.

I had a thought about you yesterday (I mean when I'm not dreaming about another blog post) when I ran into a friend who was carrying a Sgt. Peppers' album lunchbox...it was total hotness. Maybe a EVH lunchbox would be more apropos for you...

Scott said...

Walking from the car to the office does not count. But it would count if you used the stairs in stead of the escalator/elevator.

As for the Y, I haven't been in a while but will be swimming there on Thursday and will resume the Monday night yoga and Tuesday night pilates classes next week.

I saw a red and white EVH stle mailbox in a Baton Rouge neighborhood about a year ago. Yes, I wanted to steal it. What I really want are some striped hightop canvas chuck taylors. I would use the lunch box if I had one.

Scott said...

I thought about making the layout of this blog EVH'ish. But I fear i would be sued by Eddie, he's that kind of guy I hear.