Thursday, July 09, 2009

2 stories for you

It's been over a month since my last post. Sorry for the delay as I know you have been checking this thing at least twice a day drooling like Pavlov's dog in anticipation of the next savory morsel I would feed you. Well, the bell is ringing and it's time to eat rover(or tralfaz, what ever your name may be).

There has been a lot going on the past month or so and there were lots of things I wanted to tell you about, but seeing as how i neglected to write them down, I don't remember all of the tales I wanted to tell. But here's one I do recall. Perhaps you remember me telling you about Lily bringing socks and stuff out into the yard and how she even brought some twigs onto the bed. Well, I knew the day was coming and it finally arrived. A few weeks ago I walked into my bed room only to find a dead bird on my bed. Lily was so proud of it that she jumped up on the bed, picked it up, and jumped around a bit with it in her mouth. I didn't know what to say, and since Lily is a dog I didn't say anything. I just went in the garage, got the shovel and scooped the dead bird off the bed. I gave it a beautiful memorial service as I tossed it over the back fence. Don't worry friends, i washed the sheets.

On a more serious note, I'm sure you all heard that Michael Jackson passed away. I know you have been overwhelmed with the media coverage so don't worry, what I am about to say isn't really about MJ. Let me begin by saying that I am a MJ fan. I think he is a musical genius and one of the greatest performers ever, but I gotta admit, dude was freakin' weird.
MJ was a major part of my childhood. The Thriller album was released when I was in the 4th grade and yes, I did have one of the pleather jackets with the studs and zippers on it. At my 5th grade graduation we sang "We are the World" which was co-written by MJ.and for years after that MJ released hit after hit that found their way into the soundtrack of my life. The day after the story of his passing was released I was driving to work work and listening to the radio. One of he morning shows was doing a tribute and at one point I did get a little misty-eyed. Then the thought crossed my mind(and the point of this post), is this what my parents felt when Elvis or John Lennon passed away. I have heard people from their generation talk of remembering exactly where the were when they heard the news(also true of Kennedy)and how they will never forget that moment. It made me wonder if I will ever forget how I get text messages from 6 different people in less than 10 minutes breaking the news to me. I don't think I was nearly as big of an MJ fan as people were of Elvis(my mom comes to mind) but I think that a piece of me died that day as well. A piece of the innocence of my childhood was erased and painted over with the reality the world we live in. We are not kids anymore and heroes do fall. Some leave behind golden legacies and others leave behind questions and accusations. good morning real world thanks for stopping by.

I suppose what got to me the most was a question that popped into my head. Is this the time where the heroes of my childhood begin to pass away? Will my heroes create new memories for me or have I reached the point where the work of my heroes is done and all that's left are the memories that have given me? MJ is gone, Nolan Ryan hasn't pitched in nearly 20 years, Van-Halen is not Van-Halen anymore, Evel Knievel is gone, John Candy is gone, Jam Master Jay is dead, The Junkyard Dog is dead, and it all makes me wonder whats next?

I guess the lesson to be learned is that it is important to leave a legacy behind. The people I mentioned above all did just that, just as Elvis and Lennon did a generation before. And just as my mothers memories of Elvis will never be taken from her, neither will the memories that my heroes and I shared. But it doesn't take being famous or breaking records to leave a legacy, it only takes a passion and love. My mothers Father passed away a year after I was born. His name is my middle name. We met, but I never knew him. However, he left behind a legacy and is as much a role model to me and example to me as anyone. I wear his name proudly just as I wear the name of my Father proudly. Because I know these men to be great men who were not perfect, but did the best they could with what they had to make sure that their families were provided for. My Grandfather was passionate about his wife and kids and none of them ever doubted that they were loved. What greater legacy is there than that. None.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while we are here we should make the most of our time and build a legacy for those who we love. A legacy they can cherish should they find themselves without us. Be passionate about what and who you love. leave this place a little better than it was when you got hear.

Do what you need to to make it happen. As for me, I'm starting with the man in the mirror.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, powerful. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Man in the Mirror was our class song!

Good job, Scrottie. You know who this is.