Tuesday, March 31, 2009

That's a lot of swimming

Yesterday I went to the Y after school to do my swimming workout. The workout called for 1400 yards(64 laps). I wasn't sure that I had the energy to swim .9 miles but I haven't worked out since last Monday and wtih the Tralthlon drawing near I knew I couldn't keep ducking my workouts.

So, I got in the water. Normally I swim a couple laps and the stop for a minute. Last week however, my friend Matt and I had a sort of breakthrough. We decided to swim for a specified amount of time instead of laps. So instead of swimming four laps and stopping I swam for 8 minutes, Which was 16 laps. my previous consecutive streak was 10. But, At the end of last weeks workout I reeled off 24 straight(56 total laps). I was quite happy about that.

So, yesterday I decided that I would just swim until I felt like I needed to take a break. Well I swam 80 laps consecutively. 80 laps = 1.14 miles (2000 yards). Needless to say, I am stoked about that achievement. It took 43 minutes and surprisingly I didn't feel like I was gonna die at the end. I actually felt good when I was done and I don't even feel sore today. I am definitiely liking the swimming part of the training, now if I would only feel the same way about the cycling and running.

Which reminds me. I thought I was gonna get to keep all of toenails after the marathon. Now, I'm not so sure. Not to gross anyone out but I think I'm about to lose one. I'm sad about that, I don't like losing body parts but I guess that's the price we endurance atlhletes must pay for our passion and sport. I sure am gonna miss that little guy(if it goes).

For those of you who are prayerful people, Please keep me in your thoughts, and not just because of the Triathlon.

TTFN, Scott.

1 comment:

Steven Wallace said...

hey, if the toe nail falls off, your swimming time should improve. have you shaved all your body hair yet?