Monday, May 18, 2009

I Was Walking in Memphis

What a great weekend! I went to Memphis this past weekend and got to got to the annual "Memphis in May" BBQ-Fest. It was fantastic. I don't know how many bbq teams there were but it was well over 300 and they were competing in various BBQ cook-offs(ex. ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, etc.) It's one of the "Superbowls" of the BBQ world and it smelled like heaven. What I did not know is that it is also a huge 3 day party. Every team has a tent set up and many of them come complete with a real bar and real bartenders. There were several 3 strory scaffolds set up complete with dance floor on the bottom, lounge area on the 2nd floor and who knows what on top. One of the highlights of my trip was watching a girl fall off while dancing on a bar. She was ok, which is why it was funny. The only down side was that I didn't get to sample as much of the BBQ as I would have liked, but that gives me a reason to go back.

I did have some very good BBQ at a place called "the Rendezvous". You know it's gonna be good when the place is in an alley. The ribs were good, the brisket was great.

*one thing to note, Memphis is a dry rub town so for those of you who are used to the wet stuff, go to Memphis with an open mind and a jar of your favorite sauce in hand.

Saturday night I decided it was time to really live it up so i went to bingo, that's right, bingo. Now, I've played some small time bingo before but this time I was in the majors. The hall was huge, the action was fast, and I was always one number from winning. But the concession stand was selling fried bologna so I'm pretty sure I'll be back. The speed round is my personal favorite. They don't call letters just numbers and it's one after the other with no pauses, ya gotta be quick on this one. It caused me to think that bingo is probably the perfect thing for old people because you really have to be thinking all the time. So it seems like a good activity to keep those elderly neurons fring and sharp. I don't know if there has ever been a study conducted but there should be.

Sunday I had a veggie pizza with canned corn on it. I've never been big on corn, as a child I hated it, but I have to admit that canned corn(not creamed corn) actually works well on pizza.

Then I drove home just in time for my housemates birthday party, which was at my house. Some one else did the grilling, I did the eating, and thanks Bern for the ice cream cake. Oh, and Sadie thanks everyone for the "this and that" that y'all gave her.

So, that was my weekend. Special thanks to my peeps in Memphis for your kindness and hospitality, I had a blast and look forward to coming back real soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You haven't eaten bbq, until you experience Rendezvous. The festival is not bad either! Did you see the daiquiris trailer?