Tuesday, January 13, 2009

3 weeks to 26.2

I figure I should keep you all updated on my marathon training. I have just under 3 weeks left until the big day(Sunday, Feb. 1). Sunday, 2 days ago, I did my final 20 miler of the training regimen. It went very well. I finished it in 4 hours 20 minutes. But, I stopped for about 4 minutes after every five miles to stretch and let the dogs in/out of the house. So, I guess I could cut that down to actually 4 hours and 5 minutes of running.

All was not perfect though, at mile 19 I started having a lot of tightness in my left calf. The cramping was manageable and I finished running 20 but It has me a little concerned as I am not sure if I could have made it to 26 with that pain in my leg, which I am sure would have only gotten worse.

On the other hand, I am optimistic that I will be able to avoid this situation again. I think the cramp was largely due to lack of hydration. I hydrated well on the run but I know that the 2 weeks prior to this run my hydration has been not so good. I think if I get back into good hydration habits from now until the race I will be in good shape.

I am a little concerned about the distance. But, I know that I have been training hard for this and have put in a lot of miles to get me to this point. I know that those miles will get me through the 26.2 on Feb. 1st.

Some people have asked me if I think I can run the whole way or if I am going to walk some. The answer is that I plan to run the whole thing and I hope to do it in under 5 hours. This is a lofty goal for a 1st timer, but I think it is a reasonable goal and one that if I focus and work hard, that I can reach. I can not pretend to know what will happen during the race. I may be out of it by mile 10 or I may finish 20 minutes faster than expected. What I do know is that I have a singular vision to run the entire race and to finish. If it takes more than 5 hours that will be OK. What matters to me most is to overcome the obstacles and to finish what I've started.

I WILL run the entire 26.2.
It WILL hurt, but it WILL be done.

2 comments:

Steven Wallace said...

well, run forrest run!

Mary Frances said...

Darn it, my husband and I think alike, I was going to write, RUN FORREST RUN!!