Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pre-Race Thoughts

So it seems that by this time tomorrow(Sunday) I will have completed my 1st marathon. Hopefully that will be true. The other option will be that I attempted my 1st marathon. As you can see, attempted and completed are not the same thing.

I'm trying to stay positive and I keep reminding myself about all of the training miles and hours I've put into this. But, I'm still hampered by the thoughts that my last 3 weeks of training were not very good and that I've been ill lately. I feel much better now but worry that the loss of energy will hurt me tomorrow.

I have put a lot of pressure on myself to complete this marathon. I have made it, in my mind, into a make or break moment in my life. I have attached extra significance to this race that I should let go of. It's not make or break, it's not do or die, it's just a marathon. It's just me testing myself to see how far I can go. Hopefully, I will go 26.2 miles. Tomorrow is a big day, and I hope to look back on it and gain confidence from the accomplishment, but this is not the defining moment in my life. I am going through that defining moment right now, but this race is not it, just a part of it.

The defining moment is how I choose to live my life everyday, not just marathon day. I choose to live my days the same way I'm going to live tomorrow, living life on my terms, being open and honest, overcoming challenges, persevering, enjoying the moment and looking forward to a bright future that has already begun.

I don't know how tomorrow is going to turn out, I wish I did. But no matter what happens I will end the day knowing that I gave it my all, and really, what more could I do than that?





Check back Sunday night to find out how it turned out. If there is no post then check back on Monday. I'm taking off that day, a present to myself. And thanks to all of you who have been emailing me and texting words of encouragement, y'all rock my socks!

1 comment:

Mary Frances said...

Scottie...I am going to be praying for you. I love you, and I know you will do well!

Love ya,

Mary