Saturday, January 10, 2009

sometimes I go to far.

Sometimes I say more than I probably should. Sometimes I might push people a little too far or even over the edge. I have done this twice in the last couple weeks.
There is a time and place for everything, but there are somethings that just can't wait.
This past week I was overwhelmed with emotion and felt like I had no where to release it. I felt consumed by my thoughts and feelings and could not focus on anything else. So, when I got the opportunity I unloaded on one of my best friends and think I might have said too much.

But, as I said, I couldn't hold it in anymore. It had to come out. I feel bad for crossing the comfort line but I feel very good for speaking open and honestly about the mistakes I have made and haven't made.

It feels good to be open and honest. Most of you already know that. I have always known that but have struggled with it at times, usually to save myself from embarrassment. I am relearning the old saying that honesty is the best policy.

I have gone too far with lies and I do not like where it has lead me. Though it is hard to face the truth sometimes, and though I know that it will sometimes hurt to say it, and hurt others to hear it, I recognize that that pain passes much faster than the pain of lies and deceit.

Friends, I encourage you to be open and honest with the ones you love.

Billy Joel penned the lyric "Honesty is such a lonely word, but mostly what I need from you". I couldn't agree more. To be honest is very scary when you are admitting to wrong doing and when you know that it will hurt someone. It hurts because you know that you have caused that pain. No one else, just you. The Loneliness that comes from causing pain like that hurts like none other. But I hope we have learned that in honesty that pain and loneliness is temporary. It can also help build a foundation of trust and respect. Nothing is worth more than that. Trust me on that one.

There is no feeling like knowing you have nothing to hide. I wish I would've arrived at this point years ago. I knew it then but still feared the embarrassment that the truth would bring. I don't have that fear today. But I do fear that I pushed a friend that I dearly care about away. I hope I am wrong about that. Sometimes I go too far.

Sometimes I go too far, sometimes I am too open and too honest. I have been guilty of this lately. Though that might cause me some problems I will take it over holding things in and lying any day. No, I'm still not perfect, but I am learning.

Sometimes I go too far.

No comments: