Sunday, January 04, 2009

you never forget the first time

Today is a big day in our house. Lily became a runner today. Today was the first time that she got to go for a run with Sadie and I. She did great. She ran 1.5 miles. I'm so proud of her.

Lily came to us in June. My mothers neighbor found her running the streets of New Orleans East, with no apparent home, and brought her to his house. But, He already has 2 full grown German Shepherds and his wife was about to give birth to a baby. The house was to crowded. K and I were staying at my moms house for an extra, unplanned, day. I'm glad we stayed, that's the first time we met Lily.

We wanted a second dog to keep Sadie company while we were gone. We figured it would be a good idea to get one during the summer so she would have plenty of time to get used to us before school started again. And, since we were moving into a bigger house with a huge yard the time just felt right.

The first night we had her we had our doubts. She wouldn't come near us and she wouldn't sleep. Of course not, she was in a strange environment with strange people. After a couple days she started sitting by us on the couch. Now, she tries to lay on me when I'm laying on the bed.

I assume she was about 4 months old when we got her. Now she would be around11 months, I guess. because it's been a little rainy I haven't let them out in the yard as much the last couple days. I could tell she was restless today. So, with a little over a mile left on my 8 mile run I went inside and put their leashes and harnesses on. I knew Sadie would run with me but wasn't sure about Lily. For the most part she did what Sadie did. It was the first time she ran with me and she did great.

She is still a nervous dog, and very shy, but she is a lot like me, getting better all the time. It has been great to watch her come out of her shell. Like her mom, K, she has a wonderful personality and it makes me happy to see it come out.

Lily is a great dog, in fact, she's an angel and I am so proud of her. I am proud of Lily and Sadie, and of their lady who brought them into my life.

Congratulations Lily, I look forward to many more of your firsts, and many more runs with you.

2 comments:

Steven Wallace said...

This was a nice post!

Mary Frances said...

Hey, this being said, why don't you post some pics of Lily!!!??? I love Lily...but she don't love me:(