Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pain, pain, and more pain

Pilates ain't no Joke!

Tuesday night I went to a pilates class at the "Y" and I'm here to tell you that pilates is the real deal. I am sore in places that I never knew could be sore.

I got there about 5 minutes before the class started and found a large group waiting for the aerobics class to end. When it did they all rushed in the room to get a spot. I, however, trying to be a nice guy let the ladies go in 1st. The room was packed. I had hoped to get a spot in the back corner but because the place filled up so fast I ended up right next to the instructor. I wasn't so concerned with being next to the instructor, I was more concerned that I was now in front of the class and everyone would be watching what I was doing. It turned out to be excellent motivation. everytime I wanted to stop and rest I would remember that everyone was watching.
Truth be told, no one was watching, but I still used the motivation. I was also right in fornt of the mirror. After about ten minutes I was sweating like a beast. I glanced around the room and noticed that no one else was sweating, I tried to convince myself that it was because they were ladies and just don't sweat as much as guys. I'm gonna keep telling myself that.
My pilates partner(who was also my yoga partner)once again looked bored, but after class she admitted that she had to take a couple breaks, just as I had. That made me feel better. After class I talked to the instructor and told her it was my first time. She said I did awesome. She probably says that to everyone.
Overall it was a good experience and judging by the soreness I am feeling it seems to work. I think I'll try it a few more times to see how well ot fits into the new training plan.
I have learned a few lessons though.
1. No body cares what I'm doing(they are all trying to survive the workout themselves).
2.Arrive early and push the ladies out the way (other wise they'll do it to you).
3. Invest in a thick mat(thin yoga mats are worthless when you put them on hard wood floors).

I'll let you know how spin class turns out tonight.

Pilates=no joke

2 comments:

curia_regis said...

I wish I had something to contribute...I'll say this: I have for some time wanted to get into some "class" type exercise and pilates has always been appealing. I'm sure I'm no where near in the shape one needs to be to do pilates, but from what I've seen either at the gym or on tv, pilates sure look like they work.

Scott said...

JB, You should try it. At they Y there are people of all ability levels so don't worry about that. The most important thing is to get started, eventually it gets easier and more comfortable-I hope!